MGY Landlord's Checklist

Below is the checklist for our Landlords’ use, please obtain/provide or carry out the following:

  • Mortgage lender’s permission.
  • Head Leaser’s permission. Proof of Head Leaser’s permission in writing where applicable (for Leasehold Properties).
  • Proof of ownership along with photo ID also to be provided.
  • Your property and its contents will need to be suitably insured.
  • Your property contents insurers to be made aware of your intention to let, and that we are informed of any stipulation imposed by them.
  • An Energy Performance Certificate to be carried out. Please forward a copy of this certificate to our office. If you would like us to arrange this on your behalf, please inform us at the time of registering your property.
  • Gas fires, boilers etc to be tested and serviced. Please forward us a copy of the appropriate Landlords Gas Safety Certificate at least 7 days before the property is to be let. If you would like us to arrange this on your behalf, please let us know.
  • Any smoke detectors within the property to be fully tested.
  • Mail to be redirected.
  • A full set of master keys to be forwarded to us. This should include all rear exits, garages, out houses, mail box keys, door fobs and car park fobs.
  • The fridge/freezers to be defrosted, turned off at the plug and doors left open.
  • The property should be left clean to a professional standard.
  • Gardens to be left tidy and lawns to be cut. Decking to be cleaned or jet washed. Garden equipment to be left where necessary.
  • Operating instructions for all appliances to be left in the property.
  • Appliance or gas warranty/insurance covers to be provided to us and a copy of the contacts to be left at the property.
  • To provide us with utility suppliers and inform them of your departure to ensure your account is closed and they have your forwarding address.
  • An accountant to handle your tax commitments if you are moving abroad.
  • An NRL1 form to be completed if you are moving overseas. This is a tax exemption form which will need to be provided to us. Failure to do this will mean tax will be deducted from your rental income and forwarded on to the Inland Revenue.
  • Terms and Conditions to be fully completed and sent back to us. Proof of ownership of the property to also be provided.

Safety in Rental Properties


As a Landlord, you have a duty/duties to meet certain safety standards when letting your property. Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, an annual Gas Safety Check has to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.

You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed. Further checks are required to be carried out within a year of the previous.

A copy of the gas safety certificate must also be given to new tenants before they move into the property.

For Managed Property lets - MGY will automatically instruct an engineer to carry out the check and deduct payment from the monthly rent.

For Let Only properties, we can arrange this service on your behalf for a fee, however please note, we are not responsible for arranging gas safety renewals.

Electrical Regulations

Low Voltage Electrical Equipment Regulations 1989 and Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994.

The 1994 Regulations strengthened and amended the 1989 Regulations and ensure that all electrical equipment supplied must be safe.

It is mandatory to have an annual electrical safety check and it may be a criminal offence to fail to ensure that equipment and appliances supplied are safe.

Please note for houses of multiple occupation (HMO) a higher level of safety check is required. Your Local Authority will be required to check the property.

Smoke Alarms

Smoke Alarms are compulsory in all properties built since 1992, it is strongly recommended that they are also fitted in properties built before this, along with carbon monoxide detectors.

Furniture & Fire Safety Regulations

Since 1988 Fire and Safety Regulations were introduced to protect furnished goods against fire. These were amended by the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Amendment Regulations 1993.

Under these regulations all new and second hand furniture in rented properties has to meet the fire resistance requirements. Upholstered furniture must have a fire resistant filling and must have passed a ‘match resistant’ test or in some cases the cover should have a fitted fire resistant liner and should as a whole pass the ‘cigarette resistance’ test. This means if a cigarette or match is held up to the furniture, it will not burst into flames. New upholstered furniture must also be properly labelled with a fire safety warning.

These regulations cover the following items: beds, mattresses, sofas, pillows, loose and stretch covers etc. Please note however that this list is not exhaustive and MGY will be able to advise you. The regulations do not apply to curtains, carpets and furniture made before 1950.

Non-compliance to these regulations is considered a criminal offence and can lead to a fine of up to £5000 and/or a prison sentence of up to six months.